How to Seamlessly Manage 1000's of Para-Glider Visitors at 1600m.
Featuring Treble Cone Ski Area
Jess Griffin, Treble Cone Ski Area's innovative Safety Officer, came to us with a challenge. She wanted to set up an effective H&S management system to seamlessly provide both commercial paragliding operators and individual pilots visiting the region a means of easily communicating health and safety and access information in the most effective manner possible.
Treble Cone is a very popular summer destination for paragliding pilots from around the world. The main take-off point is located on the access road of the ski area itself. The Treble Cone management team are community oriented and want to maintain access for these visitors. As ski area operators they are however also profoundly aware of the need to prioritise health and safety for all site users and needed a means of communicating H&S policies and site safety protocols to those looking to fly from this location.
As Treble Cone was already using the Zero Harm system for contractor management in the winter months Jess was familiar with the positive productivity and safety gains the platform offered.
While the mountain is fully staffed in winter during summer, the majority of the Treble Cone management team are based off the mountain, 25k away in Wanaka. This poses a challenge for a business which is serious safety messages and insists on ensuring the safety of all visitors, not just hired contractors and employees.
The adoption of Zero Harm has proven to be a terrific success in enabling the effective transfer of safety and general locational information between the commercial operations of Treble Cone, professional paragliding operators and visiting members of the paragliding community from around the world. The key direct benefits as a safety manager are:
- The platform provides the means to enable any pilot to self-induct and sign in and out of the jump site 24/7
- The site profile contains specific information about safe access routes, Google map locations, contact details of TC staff and local paragliding club members and daily hazard updates
- Vital information about the site can be added or updated immediately, from anywhere in the world
- The platform is collaborative with a means for all users to feed notifications back to the site managers, which include senior members of the local paragliding community, around safety, access or any general concerns
- The manager dashboard shows who's on-site at all times
The pilots themselves have provided a swag of positive feedback around how they greatly appreciate the ease of use and ability to clock out when they have safely left the area after a flight.
The Zero Harm application has proven incredibly useful in managing compliance requirements at hundreds of “unattended” or remote work sites. Whether it is a farm, ski area, forest park or contracted construction site with no clear site boundary, the application has been specifically designed for innovative safety managers looking for solutions to better manage their Health & Safety obligations and improve work flow for visitors using non-paper-based systems.